Saturday, February 8, 2014

It's hard to believe my day of departure is almost here!  I say goodbye to the US at 12:15 PM on Wednesday, February 19th.  I will dearly miss my family, friends, and various connections I have made over the years.  At the same time, I am so excited about the life waiting for me in South Korea!

The process started with waiting and listening...I wanted to be sure this is what I was supposed to do.  After all, it's only going to work if it's God's plan and will for my life.  Once I had clarity, it was full speed ahead.  The first thing I had to do was get my TEFL certification.  TEFL stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language.  I enrolled in an online program through the International TEFL Academy from August to October 2013.  I also started taking Korean lessons in August at Atlanta International Language Institute in Sandy Springs, GA.  Once I found a rhythm with those new "projects," it was time to begin job searching.  I went through Reach to Teach Recruiting and got excellent guidance throughout the process. John Kellenberger was with me every step of the way to help me dot my i's and cross my t's.  Fast forward to January 2014 - I got the position in the city I wanted!

Source: http://www.patec-automation.ro/patec/load/images/southKoreaMap.jpg
My contract is with EPIK (English Program in Korea).  I will be teaching in the public schools and will find out what grade when I arrive in South Korea.  I do know that I'll be working in Ulsan, which is the seventh largest city in South Korea and the headquarters for Hyundai.  Ulsan is on the coast, so the weather is nice (40's in the winter to 80's in the summer).  Lodging, 50 percent of my medical insurance, and entrance fee to cover the flight will be provided by EPIK.  In addition, I will make a decent living and get 18 vacation days plus national holidays - not a bad deal!

EPIK has a great process for introducing GETs to the country.  I've already completed a 15-hour online pre-orientation, and I have a nine day, in-country orientation when I arrive.  After orientation, I will be taken to my school where I will meet the principal, vice-principal, and co-teacher.  My co-teacher is Korean and will serve as my ambassador as I figure out life in the school system and in South Korea.

I'm as prepared as I can be after months of research and conversations with people who have been over there.  I'm keeping an open mind and will be flexible as I experience a culture unlike any I've experienced before.  I know God has amazing things in store for me, and I can't wait to see what they are!

Thank you for being part of my journey!

7 comments:

  1. I am sincerely looking forward to following your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds exciting. Happy for you and also looking forward to reading about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Expecting a video of your first Karaoke endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy, please send update. Thinking of your daily... Your WW biggest fan.. XOXO
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy to hear from you, and so excited to hear about your adventures. Much love, Sally Dixon

    ReplyDelete